Cash Powell Design Services

The services that Cash Powell Design can preform on behalf of a client are;

1. Building Surveys

Preparing Building condition surveys of existing buildings for pre-purchase purposes.  This involves a thorough visual inspection of the property, inside and out.  On completion of which is issued a detailed Building Survey Report, detailing any defects/faults found on the day of the inspection.  The report will include photographs of the defects found.

This will then allow you to make your own decision on whether to purchase the property or not and could indeed even assist you in negotiating a better purchase price.

See some typical defect photographs on the page “Typical Domestic Building Survey Defects”.

These show what defects are possible within a dwelling that is intended to be purchased.  These are

Some of the most common.

2. Defects Analysis

This involves the investigation to determine the cause of a defect or problem within a building.

For example why is there a damp patch on the ceiling? Is it because of a leaking pipe or drain or leaking roof!!

3. Snag Lists

A Snag List is based on a comprehensive inspection of the property, which will list any omissions, defects with the construction, comment on the standard of finish and  possible non-compliance issues with Building Regulations in a building prior to purchase.  The List is prepared and issued to the contractor to rectify the snags listed.  This should be done prior to final signing of the contract.

4. Measured Building Surveys

This involves carrying out a measured building survey of your property, to enable the preparation of drawing of Floor Plans, Sections and Elevations.  These are useful when extensions or alterations are proposed.

5. Planning Applications

If you are intending on building a new house, an extension to your property, then you are required by Planning Legislation to apply to your local Authority for Planning Permission.

We have extensive experience in this area and can offer you the advice and service you require.

6. Design Services

We will take your accommodation requirements, your property size requirements and your budget and use this as the basis for the initial scheme design.  Most importantly will be the site, to take into consideration its size, any interesting views to be maximised, its orientation it terms of gaining the maximum sun light, existing landscaping and it’s proximity to adjoining properties.   All these are factors that implemented into the design. The design is tailored to suit your particular requirements. We prepare 3-D visuals to assist you in visualising the completed project.  Samples of our work are shown in this website.

7. Certificates/Opinions of Compliance

These are issued on completion of new/extended works to which Planning Permission was required.  They are issued on the basis that the works carried out are in compliance with the Planning Permission obtained and that the works were substantially carried out in accordance with the Building Regulations.

Some works that can be carried out are exempt from Planning Permission, your Local Authority have a very good information leaflet called  “Doing work around the house”, which details what can be done without Planning Permission.

We can provide you with any of the following:

  • Certificate of Compliance with Planning Permission
  • Certificate of Compliance with Building Regulations
  • Certificate of Exemption from Planning Permission/Building Regulations

The Certificates are prepared in accordance with the formats recommended by the Law Society of Ireland Conveyancing Handbook.

Important Notice for VENDORS:

All too often I have been instructed to inspect a property to advise on whether or not an extension/s or alterations carried out have the benefit of Planning Permission or are exempt, only to find out that that they are not and the Vendor then has to apply for Planning Retention.  This has happened within a couple of weeks of signing contracts, resulting at times the loss of the sale of the property. It is the one item that should be addressed at the outset and if in doubt contact us and we can give you the correct advice and issue the appropriate Certificate.

8. Inspections for Lending Institutions

When obtaining a Mortgage/Loan to build your new property or extension, the Lending Institution will require that the construction works are inspected at relevant intervals during the course of construction.  At certain critical stages, the Lending Institution will allow you to draw down a certain percentage of your loan, normally based on the valuation of the works carried out. At this point a Stage Payment Certificate is issued, stating the stage of works completed, the value of works completed and that the works have been inspected and comply to the relevant Planning Permission and Building Regulations.  On completion of the works the Final Stage Payment is issued together with an Opinion on Compliance with Planning Permission and Building Regulations.

9. Land Registry Mapping

If you require maps for registration purposes, we can prepare them whether it is marking Land Registry Title Maps (Folio Maps) or First Registration Maps, whatever your land or property,

From single one-off sites, scheme maps for developments or multi storey mapping for apartments.  The maps are lodged with the Property Registration Authority for approval and registration.

The PRA have a very good website, where you can enter as a guest, view the map and zoom into where your site is located.  Sites that are registered show up as being outlined in red.

10. Building Energy Ratings

A Building Energy Rating or BER is an energy label with accompanying advisory report for homes. The rating is a simple A to G scale. A-rated homes are the most energy efficient and will tend to have the lowest energy bills.  For more information refer to the below link.

Click to access Your_Guide_to_Building_Energy_Rating.pdf

We implement the Building Regulation requirements, to ensure your property achieves the required target value.

11. Fire Safety Certificate Applications

A Fire Safety Certificate is granted by a building control authority. It certifies that the design of the building or works would be in compliance with the requirements of part B of the Second Schedule to the Building Regulations, 1997-2008. This decision is based on the plans, documents and information submitted to the authority with the application. A fire safety certificate may be granted with or without conditions, or it may be refused.

With the exception of houses and certain agricultural buildings, a fire safety certificate is generally required for all new buildings, including apartments and flats. A certificate is also required for material changes of use and certain alterations and extensions to buildings. A fire safety certificate must be obtained before work starts.

12. Disability Access Certificate Applications

A Disability Access Certificate is a certificate of compliance which is issued by the Building Control Authority with respect to the requirements of Part M of the Building Regulations.

An application for a DAC shall be required in respect of all works or a building to which a Fire Safety Certificate is required.

13. Intoxicating Liquor Licence Applications

We have acted for clients whom require an Intoxicating Liquor Licence, including public houses, supermarkets, stand-alone off-licences and Hotels.  The scope of work involved would be:

  • Receive instruction from solicitor
  • Attending to site to survey building
  • Prepare plans indicating area to be licensed
  • Prepare overall plan of area within 200m of premises, showing number of houses in vicinity
  • Prepare Architects Report for Off-Licence
  • Check Planning Files
  • Check Fire Safety Certificate application files
  • Attending to meetings with solicitor and barrister
  • Preepare Opinions on Compliance with Planning Permission and Building Regulations
  • Attending to court and giving evidence

14. Assigned Designer/ Assigned Certifier

The BUILDING CONTROL (AMENDMENT) REGULATIONS 2013 came into force in March 2014. The new Building Control Regulations.

As Registered Building Surveyors under the Building Control Act 2007, we can provide you with the services of an Assigned Designer/Assigned Certifier

The Assigned Certifier is the person assigned by the Building Owner as is required under the Building Control Regulations. The certifier undertakes to inspect, and to co-ordinate the inspection activities of others during construction, and to certify the building or works on completion. The role of Assigned Certifier does not include responsibility for the supervision of any builder. The Assigned Certifier should:

  • Be the single point of contact with the Building Control Authority during construction;
  • Prepare the Preliminary Inspection Plan and oversee adherence to this plan and on completion provide the Inspection Plan as implemented
  • Identify all design professionals and specialists, in conjunction with the Builder, from whom certificates are required;
  • Identify all certificates required and obtain them;
  • Co-ordinate the ancillary certification by members of the design team and other relevant bodies for the Certificate of Compliance on Completion;
  • In consultation with members of the design team, plan and oversee the implementation of the Inspection Plan during Construction;
  • Co-ordinate and collate all certification of compliance for completion in conjunction with the builder and receive these as formal submissions at agreed intervals and dates.
  • On termination or relinquishment of this appointment make available to the Building Owner all certification prepared and inspection reports carried out;
  • Maintain records of inspection, and
  • Provide and sign the Certificate of Compliance for the Undertaking and Completion.
  • Seek advice from the Building Control Authority in respect of compliance matters, relating to the building or works, where disputes or differences of opinion arise between the parties to the project.